The transfer window just closed and there was some last minute craziness.
- Son is staying despite Wolfsburg offering big money.
- Isco turned us down to go back to his previous club Malaga.
- The N’Koudou/N’Jie swap is done.
- Out of nowhere we bought Moussa Sissoko, of Newcastle and the French national team, for 30M pounds.
Sissoko is a “box-to-box” midfielder in the same vein as Dembele. Plus they have the same first name, Moussa, so we have to come up with a new nickname other than Moose. This gives us 2 incoming defensive players and 2 incoming offensive players, in lieu of a bunch of replacement-level talent that was shipped out. I don’t know how to justify his price tag of 30M pounds as TransferMarkt.com has him rated about 75% as high as Dembele.
That gives us the following quality players at each position band:
- Striker – Kane, Janssen, Onomah
- AM – Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Son, N’Koudou
- Pivot – Dembele, Sissoko
- CM – Dier, Wanyama
- FB – Rose, Walker, Davies, Trippier
- CB – Alderweirald, Vertonghen, Wimmer
If we consider positional flexibility (Kane playing AM, Dier playing fullback, etc) we actually have a lot of depth out of not that many players. That gives us 6 strikers, 8 AM, 5 CM, 5 FB, 5 CB out of 19 possible players. Hopefully this means we get to play a lineup of 11 good players regardless of who’s getting the day off, instead of a team full of scrubs for early round League Cup and FA Cup matches–more critically, it should mean we can play our best line up in either the BPL matches or the Champions League matches and not experience a huge drop off in the other as we did last season.
As you can tell, I drank the Kool-Aid.